[open-government] CodeAcross 2014

Julia Keserű jkeseru at sunlightfoundation.com
Fri Feb 7 17:33:38 UTC 2014

FYI everyone

http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2014/02/06/codeacross-is-here/

CodeAcross is here!<http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2014/02/06/codeacross-is-here/>
by guest author Catherine Bracy

   - policy <http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/policy/>
   - technology <http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/technology/>

FEB. 6, 2014, 10 A.M.
 This guest post was written by Catherine Bracy, Director of Community
Organizing at Code for America. The post was originally published on the
Code for America
blog.<http://www.codeforamerica.org/2014/02/04/codeacross-is-here/>[image:
An image of CodeAcross]CodeAcross 2014. Image credit: Code for America

It’s that time of year again: time to
CodeAcross<http://www.codeforamerica.org/codeacross-2014/>!
On the weekend of February 21-23, Code for America and the Sunlight
Foundation <http://sunlightfoundation.com/> will host 40+ events around the
globe. The mission of these events is to have citizens participate in
making real progress towards taking open government “Beyond Transparency.”
We’re making government data more open and accessible — through taking an
inventory of a city’s open data to drafting an open data policy to
designing an app powered by that open data.

In its third year, CodeAcross is scheduled to coincide with International
Open Data Day. These events are designed to be not just an opportunity to
move the ball forward on creating more open and transparent governments,
but to build communities of citizens who want to participate in
strengthening public institutions–on February 21-23 and beyond. This is NOT
just another hackathon.

This year, Code for America and the Sunlight Foundation have collaborated
on three “challenges” that CodeAcross participants of any technical
proficiency level can participate in:

   - The Open Data
Inventory<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LFEwoVYWrTFM4gb9iKjMlI9n_MF7lDBeD7clsYGYbvo/edit?usp=sharing>:
   Take stock of where your city stands on publishing some fundamental
   datasets.
   - Open Data Policy<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZP_qNd6Zf_AmGff3yXT91vnUlOPkXLDb6zFFH75A5h8/edit?usp=sharing>:
   Work with your local officials to create an open data policy, or draft an
   implementation plan or accountability structure for a recently passed
   policy.
   - Open Civic Data
Scraper<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mf_7M4uiWYM0npdRpk1FxzcWBMh3jUwAIloOZCmao1k/edit?usp=sharing>:
   Create scrapers to pull down important civic information to feed the Open
   Civic Data API.

On February 21-23, join an event near you! We want citizens of all stripes
and backgrounds to participate: coders, activists, designers, organizers,
public transit enthusiasts, you name it. You can find a full listing of the
events here <http://www.codeforamerica.org/codeacross-2014/>.

We’re thankful to our sponsors, Esri and Microsoft, for making CodeAcross
possible.
Tags:

--
Júlia Keserű