[open-government] Live Webcast - Knight Media Seminar - Sun, Mon, Tues - Open Gov Session 12 Eastern Tues Feb 18 #infoneeds

Steven Clift clift at e-democracy.org
Tue Feb 18 14:03:31 UTC 2014

The big day for this webcast is live now:

http://knightfoundation.org/live/

You can catch up on two prior sessions:
http://www.livestream.com/knightfoundation/folder

In terms of open government, the panel at Noon (we'll later I would
guess after people eat ... no promises), we have Waldo Jaquith, U.S.
Open Data Institute; Daniel X. O'Neil, Executive Director, Smart
Chicago Collaborative; Hon. Karen Freeman-Wilson, Mayor, Gary,
Indiana.

Yesterday, the head of Knight announced that Smart Chicago
Collaborative is receiving $500K to take "open government resources
directly into neighborhoods through a variety of civic-minded apps."
http://bit.ly/knightkcic2014

On piece of context - the crowd is mostly made up of community
foundations. Knight has worked over seven years to encourage community
foundations to invest in journalism and last year introduced open
government. I'd like to see a layer of more interactive community
engagement integrated into this push as community foundations, city by
city, region by region, can seed this kind of crucial work.

Here is what is coming up - Eastern:

(RIGHT NOW!) 9:00 - 10:15 a.m. What's new, what's next

Speaker: Amy Webb, Founder, Webbmedia Group

10:15 - 10:30 a.m. Break

10:30 - 11:45 a.m. - Transformative leadership: Communities and journalism

Speakers: Michael Maness, Vice President, Journalism and Media
Innovation, Knight Foundation and David Bornstein, Co-founder,
Solutions Journalism Network

12:00 - 2:00 p.m. Luncheon - Opening government: From data to action

Moderator: Alberto Ibargüen
Speakers: Waldo Jaquith, U.S. Open Data Institute; Daniel X. O'Neil,
Executive Director, Smart Chicago Collaborative; Hon. Karen
Freeman-Wilson, Mayor, Gary, Indiana
Suggested resources: Case Studies: How Four Community Information
Projects Went From Idea to Impact; Opportunities for Leadership:
Meeting Community Information Needs
Steven Clift - http://stevenclift.com
  Executive Director - http://E-Democracy.org
  Twitter: http://twitter.com/democracy