[open-government] Fwd: Launch of data.gov.ph - Open Data Philippines

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Jan 7 10:55:20 UTC 2014

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gabriel Baleos <gjdbaleos.dbm at gmail.com>
Date: 7 January 2014 02:17
Subject: Launch of data.gov.ph - Open Data Philippines

To the international Open Data community:

It’s with great pleasure to inform you that the Government of the
Philippines will be launching its open data portal – data.gov.ph – on 16
January 2014. I hope you can support our launch by checking our open
government data portal at around 11:00am (Philippine Standard Time) on the
said date and sharing it with your contacts. We also encourage you to like
our Facebook page (facebook.com/datagovph) and follow our Twitter account
(@datagovph).

We started our open data journey just April of 2013 and the technical,
creative, and policy challenges we continue to encounter prove that the
drive for an open government is a worthy endeavor. To build momentum on
this project, our team conducted outreach activities such as an open data
masterclass and boot camp for government and consultations with CSOs and
the tech sector. Our team’s favorite outreach activity was a budget
transparency hackathon we held last November 2013.  With budget datasets
released for the first time in open formats by the Philippine government,
around 90 developers forming at least 20 teams developed budget
transparency apps in a span of less than 24 hours. (the winning apps will
be accessible soon through data.gov.ph).

The launch of the program and the portal is positioned on the 2nd day of
the Philippines’ Good Governance Summit on 15-17 January 2014. You can
follow the Summit by checking the event hashtag #GoodGovPH or follow live
tweets from @datagovph or @DBMph.

We hope you can support us as we build irreversible reforms toward
transparent, accountable, and participatory governance. And don't forget to
check out data.gov.ph when we launch!

Cheers from the Open Data Philippines team!

Gabe Baleos
Co-Lead Coordinator, Open Data Philippines
Department of Budget and Management

P.S. This is not an official media advisory or press release. An official
announcement will be released next week.

--

Jonathan Gray

Director of Policy and Ideas  | *@jwyg <https://twitter.com/jwyg>*

*Empowering through Open Knowledgeokfn.org <http://okfn.org/>  |  @okfn