[open-government] #FlashHacks join us setting corporate related data free!

Lokesh Dave lokesh at lokeshdave.com
Tue Jul 8 16:15:24 UTC 2014

>From this blog
<http://blog.opencorporates.com/2014/02/27/new-api-version-released-corporate-networks-accounts-and-more/>,
I see that the data at opencorporates isn't truly open.

We’ve also had major improvements to the getting hold of API keys, and
non-open-data users can now purchase API plans online and get immediate
access from as little as £99/year (previously it was a manual and somewhat
opaque process)

So apparently the data is available for free to 'open-data' users - but
it's not clear to me what this means. It feels like an arbitrary definition
that can be easily manipulated by an organization to suit its needs.

I don't see anything wrong with using crowdsourcing to collect data and
even charging for access; however am curious if this  aligns with the
mission of open data / knowledge?

Lokesh