[open-government] OGD community events at OKFest

JOSEFSSON Erik erik.josefsson at europarl.europa.eu
Sun Jul 13 12:01:26 UTC 2014

Hi Mor! Hello everybody!!

Not sure this will get through to the list, but I just wanted to share two amendments to be included in the projects that might be in the EU budget below, as well as news on the ones tabled last month:

European Parliament to weigh open source pilots
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/european-parliament-weigh-open-source-pilots

Texts pasted below. I'm not sure where to find them online right now. Please feel free to contact the new MEPs Max Andersson and Julia Reda.

Have a nice Sunday!

//Erik

09 02 77 04 - PP - Governance and Quality of Software Code - auditing of Free and Open Source Software

The discovery of a severe vulnerability in the OpenSSL cryptography software library in April 2014 drew broader attention to the need for understanding how governance of code relates to quality of code and code review. As both the general public and the EU institutions regularly use and depend on free and open source software - from end user devices up to server systems - the need for coordinated efforts to maintain a reasonable level of security and protection of its users is a recognised and repeated demand from both citizens and the EP
itself, regardless of how this software is licensed and whether it is maintained by software companies or by volunteers.

Vulnerabilities in software libraries that are by design meant to be used in multiple places are especially important. We propose going beyond the commendable efforts of EU-Cert to not only warn the EU institutions, bodies and agencies and the general public about upcoming threats by pro-actively work together with software developer
communities to aid and contribute to the discovery of security relevant bugs in software which carries essential information infrastructure functions. This work should be conducted by using the Debian Social Contract as a reference in terms of effectiveness and trust and in accordance with established procedures on reasonable
disclosure.

The pilot aims to achieve:
- the inventory of Free Software and Open Standards in use within EU institutions
- establishing an infrastructure to encourage developer communities to aid and contribute to the discovery of security relevant bugs
- developing best practices with regards to mitigation of security threaths by conducting and promoting code reviews

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.de/2013/10/going-beyond-vulnerability-rewards.html
https://epnet.europarl.europa.eu/
http://www.itecnet.ep.parl.union.eu/itecnet/webdav/site/itecnet/shared/Homepage_news/Annex%202%20-%20IT%20environment%20in%20the%20EP.PDF
https://epnet.europarl.europa.eu/
http://www.itecnet.ep.parl.union.eu/itecnet/webdav/site/itecnet/shared/Homepage_news/Annexe%201%20Structure%20TIC.PDF
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/informatics/oss_tech/index_en.htm

09 02 77 04 - PP - Promoting the use  of AT4AM in civil society throughout the EU

Engaged  and empowered citizens all over Europe are continuously carrying and  developing democratic values and working methods at all levels throughout  society by means of old and new information and communications  technologies. It is therefore essential to democracy that EU  institutions engage to provide open knowledge and free software  solutions implementing the most significant standards and tools emerging  for legislation to enhance understanding of their impact in the  different phases of the legislative process. Citizens ability to use and  participate in the preparation of standard-compliant documents  throughout the law-making process in the EU is a determining factor for  the legitimacy of the EU project as a whole. Needless to say, such use  and participation benefits from integrating with other projects  involving multilingual technologies and localization processes as well  as the removing of silos and unnecessary proprietary dependencies.

The  EP is in the forefront of sharing with the world its tools and working  methods. The open development of the automatic tool for amendments  (AT4AM) is a primary example. However, its use outside the EP is limited  partly due to the lack of integration with existing Open Linked Data  frameworks  and with existing Free Software projects as well as  insufficient funding to help NGOs to install and run the software on  their own servers. AT4AM has a potential to contribute to the  transformation of work-flows of other parliaments across the globe, and  their processing of parliamentary, legislative and judiciary documents.  The EP should therefore nurture and extend its community and reach out  to all those interested in parliamentary democracy, parliamentary (or  democratic) Open Linked Data projects, and their software tools, aiming  to increase AT4AM use, re-use, and reinforcing its future development.

The pilot aims to achieve:
- the promotion of the deployment, development, maintenance and use of AT4AM in civil society throughout the EU
- the integration of AT4AM development in an Open Linked Data framework for standard-compliant documents in law-making processes.

http://librecat.org/
http://pro.europeana.eu:9580/documents/900548/1300521/Open+Linked+Data+and+Europeana.pdf
https://legalinformatics.wordpress.com/2014/07/03/call-for-applications-summer-school-lex2014-managing-legal-resources-in-semantic-web/