[open-government] Fwd: Follow-up on the Webinar Series on Enhancing Transparency In Political Finance With Technology

Julia Keserű jkeseru at sunlightfoundation.com
Mon Jun 16 18:14:12 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Below you`ll find the follow-up documentation for our webinar series
on *Enhancing
Transparency in Political Finance with Technology*, including the archived
versions of all the sessions, slides and contact information to featured
speakers.

In case you made it to any part of the webinar, please help us improve our
work and provide some feedback by filling this short survey
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1j8vU1hQy3PdIkebuj-9iqce2cbdOC0Rg3P1alNfmECo/viewform>
.

Thanks and best,
Julia, Amy and Peter

       [image: Sunlight Foundation]
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809124d/3757447351/VEsH/>
 [image:
Transparency International]
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809124e/3757447351/VEsE/>
 [image:
IACC]
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809124f/3757447351/VEsF/>
  Webinar Series: Enhancing Transparency In Political Finance With
Technology

A few months ago, the Sunlight Foundation, Transparency International and
the IACC Game Changers Initiative teamed up for an experimental webinar
series to explore the various ways in which the transparency of political
financing can be enhanced in different disclosure regimes. We invited
members of the international open government community to join us and learn
more about how to to uncover the influence of money in elections by using
technology and by creating tools that shine a light on the influence of
money in politics and the misallocation of public funds.

For those of you who could not join us, or just want to watch the whole
series all over again: below are links to the archived versions and slides
from all three sessions, some statistics from the whole series, and a list
of the featured speakers with contact information.

Learn More »
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091248/3757447351/VEsC/>

  Archived Sessions & Slides
------------------------------

*PART I: Political Finance in the Digital Age: How can accountability be
enhanced by technology and open data?*

*February 11th, 2014*

In the first session, we explored the world of political finance from the
different types of data that is available to how this information can
improve accountability in government and the electoral process. We
introduced some inspiring technology projects that built on relevant data
published by governments, and the impact of having this type of data
available and accessible for journalists and NGOs.

*Featured Tools:*

Influence Explorer
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091249/3757447351/VEsD/>

Political Finance Monitoring Project of Transparency International Georgia
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809124a/3757447351/VEsA/>

Dinero y Política
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809124b/3757447351/VEsB/>

*Statistics:* 47 participants from 29 different countries

<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091274/3757447351/VEsO/>
and slides
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091275/3757447351/VEsP/>

------------------------------

*PART II: How can the transparency of political finance be enhanced when we
don't have reliable government data?*

*March 11th, 2014*

The second session introduced some of the creative projects that have
sprung up to crowdsource information or connect the dots in countries with
little or no access to political finance data. Moving beyond technology, we
also explored some of the possible ways to advocate for enhanced data
disclosure.

*Featured Tools:*

Political Party Time
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091276/3757447351/VEsHBQ/>

Ad Sleuth
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091277/3757447351/VEsHBA/>

Hypocrisy Campaign
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091270/3757447351/VEsHBw/>

Open Duka
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091271/3757447351/VEsHBg/>

Quien Manda
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091272/3757447351/VEsHAQ/>

*Statistics:* 39 participants from 21 countries

<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091273/3757447351/VEsHAA/>
and slides
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809127c/3757447351/VEsHAw/>
------------------------------

*PART III: Beyond government: How can you inject political finance
information in your life and why should anyone care? What's next?*

*April 15th, 2014*

In the last part of our webinar series, we discussed different ways to
increase citizen awareness and participation. We introduced some of the
creative ideas that inject political finance information into the everyday
life of people and brainstormed about how this information could be made
relevant on an individual level. We had a sparkling online debate on the
opportunities and challenges of crowdsourcing information on political
expenditures, media ownership and control, and the potential next steps.

*Featured Tools:*

Influence Explorer
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809127d/3757447351/VEsHAg/>

Poligraft
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809127e/3757447351/VEsHDQ/>

Ad Hawk
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809127f/3757447351/VEsHDA/>

Sitegeist
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091278/3757447351/VEsEBQ/>

Churnalism US
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091279/3757447351/VEsEBA/>

Open States
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809127a/3757447351/VEsEBw/>

BizVizz
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809127b/3757447351/VEsEBg/>

Reconstruction of the State project
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091264/3757447351/VEsEAQ/>

*Statistics:* 44 participants from 26 countries

<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091265/3757447351/VEsEAA/>
and slides
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091266/3757447351/VEsEAw/>
     Featured Speakers
------------------------------

 [image: Amy Ngai]*Amy Ngai <angai at sunlightfoundation.com>*
Partnerships and Training Director, Sunlight Foundation [image: Julia
Keseru]*Julia Keseru <jkeseru at sunlightfoundation.com>*
International Policy Manager, Sunlight Foundation [image: Peter Tausz]*Peter
Tausz <ptausz at transparency.org>*
Senior Programme Coordinator, People Engagement Programme, Transparency
International [image: Mathias Huter]*Mathias Huter
<mathias.huter at gmail.com>*
Senior Analyst, Transparency International Georgia [image: Giorgi
Chanturia]*Giorgi
Chanturia <giorgich at transparency.ge>*
Analyst, Transparency International Georgia [image: Rosario Pavese]*Rosario
Pavese <mrpavese at poderciudadano.org>*
Coordinator, Poder Ciudadano, Argentina [image: Bill Allison]*Bill Allison
<ballison at sunlightfoundation.com>*
Editorial Director, Sunlight Foundation [image: Emese Hortobagyi]*Emese
Hortobagyi <emese.hortobagyi at transparency.hu>*
Head of People Engagement Programs, Transparency International Hungary [image:
Anne Muigai]*Anne Muigai <anne at openinstitute.com>*
Knowledge Lead, Open Institute, Kenya [image: David Cabo]*David Cabo
<david.cabo at gmail.com>*
Co­founder and Director, Civio Foundation, Spain [image: Kamil Gregor]*Kamil
Gregor <kamil.gregor at kohovolit.eu>*
Data Analyst, KohoVolit.eu, Czech Republic

Organized by the Sunlight Foundation
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809124d/3757447351/VEsEAg/>
and Transparency International
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809124e/3757447351/VEsEDQ/>

Sponsored by the IACC Game Changers Initiative
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/6809124f/3757447351/VEsEDA/>

------------------------------

<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091267/3757447351/VEsFBQ/>
The Sunlight Foundation is a 501(c)3, non-profit, nonpartisan organization
that uses cutting-edge technology and ideas to make government transparent
and accountable. We are committed to improving access to government
information by making it available online, indeed redefining "public"
information as meaning "online," and by creating new tools and websites to
enable individuals and communities to better access that information and
put it to use.
The Sunlight Foundation does not rent or sell email lists. Read about our
Privacy Policy here
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091260/3757447351/VEsFBA/>
. [image: Fan us on Facebook!]
<http://organizing.sunlightfoundation.com/page/m/64f58a14/28889c64/33defb9b/68091261/3757447351/VEsFBw/>