[open-government] Ruby and Python coders – can you help OpenCorporates?

Julia Keserű jkeseru at sunlightfoundation.com
Tue Jun 24 19:09:19 UTC 2014

FYI everyone:

http://blog.opencorporates.com/2014/06/16/ruby-python-coders-help/

Home <http://blog.opencorporates.com/>
Who controls the biggest corporations in the world? What licences do they
hold? What patents have they been granted? What government contracts have
they won?

If we can’t answer important questions like these, we can’t start to
understand the world we live in. We need YOUR help to inform the direction
of a platform we’re building to make this happen. The platform is
code-named *Turbot* <http://turbot.opencorporates.com/>, and we’re
announcing it really early, while it’s still in development. We need to fix
any issues that remain, and get feedback as soon as possible.

Maybe you want to help make one of the most ambitious open data projects
outside Wikipedia and Open Street Map even bigger and better. Or you might
already be scraping data relating to companies, in which case we’d like to
include it in OpenCorporates.

*In short, we’re looking for hackers who are interested in helping
contribute to the corporate data commons.*
Why are we building Turbot?

OpenCorporates is built by a small core team, with the help of a small
community of data activists. There is *no way* we could attempt to answer
questions about global corporate activity without the help of the wider
Open Data community.

There are many other providers of corporate data, but none makes their data
available under an Open licence. Every tiny piece of data contributed to
OpenCorporates moves more corporate information into public realm. Every
use of a non-open, proprietary system helps keep this data hidden in silos.

We don’t have huge amounts of venture capital funding, deliberately: our
view of the future is not about selling for millions via a sale or an IPO,
but transforming the world of company data itself, for the benefit of all.
We can’t win the open/proprietary argument without the help of our
community.
What you can do to help

First, have a read of the Turbot website
<https://turbot.opencorporates.com/> and see if it makes sense. Let us know
if it doesn’t!

The Quick Start Guide <http://turbot.opencorporates.com/docs/quickstart> will
walk you through the process of contributing. As part of that, you’ll find
a list of “missions” you can take on, to start contributing Open Data.

Secondly, join our mailing list
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/opencorporates-community>. This is
where you can ask questions and make suggestions. You can also
<http://turbot.opencorporates.com/docs/support> email, tweet, use IRC, or
ask questions on Stack Exchange.

*Can you help us write our first twenty bots?*

Throughout all these, please take notes and send suggestions to bots@
opencorporates.com. General suggestions and discussions should go to the
mailing list, but for the time being, we think it’s better for bugs and so
on to go straight to us, to reduce noise.

Thanks!
The OpenCorporates Team

--
Júlia Keserű