[open-government] Free Global Crisis and Disaster Information Portals

Doug Hanchard doug.hanchard at gmail.com
Thu May 22 17:09:28 UTC 2014

Research in the field of open data, metadata, interoperability, and
crowdsourced services are experiencing significant advances through new
products and services. As most of you know, this has raised numerous points
of concern how best to manage these developments including access, law,
policy and usage. There are many useful and leveraged services now in place
throughout Asia, Europe and North America. The integration of data (and
Metadata) has become a topic of much debate and source of friction for many
while simultaneously building new cooperation links that were once stove
pipe silos. The use and application of Open Data along with influence (good
and bad) is now in full swing. There have been numerous studies and usage of
Open Data in experimental, beta and live production platforms creating new
opportunities and analysis.

You can find out how some of these have been implemented in past and current
disasters by following these links;

Crisis and Disaster Management Magazine -
https://flipboard.com/section/crisis-%26-disaster-management-bB8Bpf

CDM - Editorial Blog - http://emergencysafety.blogspot.com

We have an open dialogue portal on Google Plus -
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107186952474100725513

We are also looking for editorials, white papers, feedback and links from
subscribers of the Open-Government community. Our audience of mainly crisis
and disaster management professionals spans across every continent with over
1,100 subscribers 28,000 page views and 650+ curated articles. All are free
to use. Our Flipboard magazine is popular with smart phone users who are
constantly on the go and have limited spare time. The Flipboard App is free
and available for most NG platforms including Android, iPhone, Windows Phone
and RIM in addition to tablets such as Kindle or any current PC based web
browser.

Start up Digital Disaster Relief Support (@DDRSNGO on Twitter) manages all
of these services as a non-profit organization.

Doug Hanchard
Co-Founder
DDRS