[open-government] Open Data Barometer - release of 2nd edition

Jose M. Alonso jose.alonso at webfoundation.org
Tue Jan 20 08:12:33 UTC 2015

Hi all,

[apologies for cross-posting]

Today, we're releasing the second edition of our annual Open Data
Barometer. <http://www.opendatabaromter.org>

This study, which assesses open data readiness, implementation, and
impact across 86 countries, contains some important findings.

These include:

  * The readiness of states, citizens and entrepreneurs to secure the
    benefits of open government data (OGD) has progressed little over
    the last year, and the data divide between countries with strong
    open data initiatives, and those without, has grown.
  * Although there have been small gains in the availability of OGD this
    year, all too often governments are still publishing only selected
    datasets, with limited data published on important areas such as
    public sector performance and expenditure. Over 90% of the countries
    surveyed do not publish key datasets in open formats. Despite
    pledges by the G7 countries to boost transparency by making
    government data "open by default", almost half of the G7 countries
    are still not publishing the key datasets they promised to release
    in 2013.
  * Evidence of impacts from open data remain extremely limited.
    Entrepreneurial open data use has overtaken accountability as the
    most frequently observed impact from OGD. Transparency and
    accountability impacts are the second most observed impact, though
    within 'emerging and advancing' countries transparency and
    accountability impacts come top. The effective use of open data to
    increase environmental sustainability and support greater inclusion
    of marginalised groups remains extremely rare.

To read the full study, including our findings on common success factors
across leading open data initiatives, and our recommendations on
increasing readiness, implementation and impact of open data, please
visit www.opendatabarometer.org <http://www.opendatabarometer.org>.

We hope you find the study valuable to your work and look forward to
your feedback at project-odb at webfoundation.org
<mailto:project-odb at webfoundation.org>.

/The Open Data Barometer is made possible thanks to continued support
from the International Development Research Centre of Canada (IDRC). We
thank them for their generous contribution to this important work.

/
--
Jose M. Alonso
Open Data Program Manager

World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington
DC, 20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org | Twitter: @webfoundation