[open-government] Hungary`s new investigative journalism portal, Direkt36 needs your help!

Julia Keserű jkeseru at sunlightfoundation.com
Wed Jan 28 18:55:13 UTC 2015

Hey everyone,

A group of amazing reporters in Hungary set up a new investigative portal
<https://crowdfunding.direkt36.hu/projects/2>, and they now need your help
to either support their work with a small donation or spread the word about
their existence.

More on their website: https://crowdfunding.direkt36.hu/projects/2

And here`s their message:

"In Hungary, it is becoming increasingly hard to do journalism that is
holding the powerful accountable. But Direkt36 has a plan to change this.
Direkt36 is a new investigative journalism center with the mission to
expose wrongdoings and abuse of power, by producing stories based on tough
questions and hard facts. Many of these stories can have international
implications and they will also be published in English. We need support
for this work.

We decided to create Direkt36 after the conditions at our previous news
organization stopped allowing us to practice the kind of fair but tough
journalism that we believe in
<https://medium.com/@direkt_36/in-hungary-telling-the-truth-is-getting-more-and-more-difficult-heres-our-plan-to-change-that-e8985cdb65a6>.
With our non-profit reporting center we will have much more freedom to
serve the Hungarian public.

To make Direkt36 a powerful force in Hungary’s deteriorating media
landscape we need supporters. If we can expand our currently tight budget
we will be able to work with more journalists and do much deeper
investigations.

But this is not only about the money. Having a wide base of supporters will
give us power and courage to do our job which inherently comes with
confrontations with powerful people and organizations.

The campaign is running on the German crowdfunding platform, Sparker
<https://sparker.de/pages/about>. This is why you will see their name
appear during the payment process. If you have any questions about the
campaign or the forms of support, please contact us at support at direkt36.hu.

For the news of the campaign - and later for our stories - follow us on
Twitter <https://twitter.com/direkt36>!"

Your help would be much appreciated!

Best,

Julia