[open-government] The Open Government Data list is moving to a new home. Come and join.

Mor Rubinstein morchickit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:50:39 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Time has changed, and so does this platform. From next week, the Open
Government Data group is moving from the mailman system (the list that you
are now on) to the Open Knowledge Discourse forum (discuss.okfn.org).

*Why are moving?*

The mailman is a mailing list, it is old and it does not allow advanced
features such as easy search on messages or tag users. The discourse, a
great open source project, allows easy search, tagging and many more. It is
friendly and got a nice UX as well. Lastly, it also function as a mailing
list!

Discourse also has a very powerful spam protector. Today we are getting at
least 10 spam messages a day which we need to filter. Discourse will allow
better communication between people by already inviting people. In
addition, the more actions you will do in the forum, to more trust you will
gain from the system.

In the next couple of days I will send all of those who didn't join our
forum an invite to the OK Open Government Data
<https://discuss.okfn.org/c/working-groups/open-gov-data> category, but
meanwhile, here is how you can join the forum yourself:

1. Go to - https://discuss.okfn.org and click on Sign Up
2. Enter your details.
3. Log in to the system and choose Open Government Data
<https://discuss.okfn.org/c/working-groups/open-gov-data>.
4. At the top right hand side of the page there are three icons -

Click on the right hand side icon (the circle). This will help you to set
up you notification preferences. Discourse default is *not* to send you any
messages, unless your name is mentioned. If you want to keep up to date
with the forum, you should change it. :-)

The move to discourse also means that the mailman will be closed from
August onwards, so please bear that in mind for future communication.

Please post any question about this as reply to this email.

See you all soon on discourse!

Mor