[open-government] Openness and Privacy

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Fri Jun 12 12:53:39 UTC 2015

On 06/12/2015 08:03 AM, Javier Ruiz wrote:
> open data ideology

This is the part that keeps surprising me about these debates. Somewhere
along the way, what began as a very practical movement to solve
immediate problems of access to information became.... an ideology. I am
either confused or afraid when I read, to quote Martin in his article:

> Open data advocates often suggest that openness should be the default
> for all human knowledge.

Is that statement factually true? Do open data advocates actually say
that about */all/* human knowledge? Has it always been that way? I don't
know. But it doesn't describe the movement I thought I was in (and, I
thought, helped start).

When I get up in the morning, I think about how I can help people with
less power over government get more power. I don't care about human
knowledge per se. I care about what knowledge people need to have power
over their world around them. The idea that I am in a movement that
could be described as "lead[ing] to an Orwellian world" is shocking.
Either I'm in the wrong movement or the movement has a massive public
relations problem.

Martin's point that open data and privacy are the same is maybe a bit
exaggerated, but it's insightful: They are very /*different
*//*techniques*/ to addressing what can be */very similar/**/underlying
problems/* (of, for example, inequitable distribution of power). Open
data goes off the rails when it is (or is perceived to be) a solution to
be applied regardless of the existence of problems.

I thought I was in a movement about underlying problems, but now I don't
know anymore.

- Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)

http://razor.occams.info