[open-humanities] Saving web pages for research

print.crimes print.crimes at yatterings.com
Sun Aug 15 18:43:46 UTC 2010

Evening,

I've got a quick query which I hope that the list might be able to shed
some light on. Apologies in advance if it is perceived off topic but I
thought it might be of interest for humanities researchers

I've just finished writing my first book and had the joy of using
moleskin notebooks to note down urls and make notes. I like moleskins a
lot but pen and paper does have its limitations when searching. I also
bookmarked pages but changing computers has lost a few of these. I'm
just starting the research on a new book and wanted to ask whether
anybody knew of any software that is opened to capture a url, mark it
with the time accessed (for later bibliographical purposes), capture the
raw HTML, and possibly allow me to tag it for folksonomical reference if
I want. What would be sort of cool is to have an interface to share the
results later or just post an XML / RDF file to be posted later.

I suppose what I essentially want to find is something along the lines
of a moleskin for electronic notes? I can see various subscription
services listed but I really want something on the desktop to create  a
relevant project archive to later share. Potentially this does add to
the issue of lots of mini-silos by creating more but if , in
Bibliographica style, they could be linked or linkable, I think it could
be an interesting way of sharing research links or allowing bodies to
create a meta-frame calling from the shared resources.

I think that this falls into the realm of archiving, which poses issues
in the UK, especially when it concerns commercial sites as my reading of
the consultation has it.

I would assume that if I do need to develop something myself then WARC
would be the most relevant format for the needed meta-data before
transforming it into a recognisable bibliographical / machine readable
format.

I'd be grateful for any pointers or if it worth starting a new project
on knowledgeforge.

Thanks for your time,

Iain

blog: austgate.co.uk