[open-humanities] Interface at UCL 27th - 29th July

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Feb 25 11:25:01 UTC 2011

Here's the one I put in. Hence, if it is not accepted, the idea will
at least see the light of day! ;-)

Title: Data Driven Scholarship?

Abstract: This talk will discuss how open, structured data from a
variety of different sources (libraries, archives, bibliographies,
etc) will support teaching and research in the arts and humanities. It
will discuss tools and technologies which will enable users to
connect, analyse and explore these data sources, to help them answer
questions and explore issues in ways which were not previously
possible. As well as outlining how data and digital tools present new
opportunities for understanding authors, texts and contexts, the talk
will also outline the limits of what structured data sources can tell
us, and finish with ideas for how technologists and scholars might be
able to work together and learn from each other to build more
sophisticated tools, and to develop a better sense of what these are
and aren't able to do.

A few posts related to this topic are here (spurred by various people
- some of whom are on this list - with whom I've previously made pacts
to blog more!):

http://jonathangray.org/2011/02/20/who-read-what-mapping-influence-in-intellectual-history/
http://jonathangray.org/2011/02/17/how-much-will-digital-tools-change-the-nature-of-scholarship/

Will draft more on the last bit (how technologists + scholars can work
together to build better tools), as soon as I get a moment!

J.