[open-humanities] Using Weaving History for digital bibliography

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jul 18 15:02:52 UTC 2011

On 14 July 2011 15:16, Marie Léger-St-Jean
<marie.leger.st.jean at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been trying out Weaving History to potentially use alongside my
> digital bibliography:
>
> Price One Penny: Cheap literature from the 1840s and 1850s
> http://www.english.cam.ac.uk/pop/
>
> You can see my test at:
>
> http://www.weavinghistory.org/thread/read/e0e9a0a1-3803-458d-a443-1dc6abcdf1c7
>
> I have a few questions and comments:
>
> - Great job! I loooooove the automatic page generator from Wikipedia!

Wow, thanks. I'm really glad you like it.

> - But it won't add the longitude and latitude properly...
> they appear when I save the factlet, but the moment I try the
> Geochrono View, they disappear...

Hmm, I think this is known bug. I'm actually working hard on a
replacement for core weaving history code base in the form of
something 'codenamed' "hypernotes":

<http://dev.okfn.org/hypernotes/app/>

<https://github.com/okfn/hypernotes>

> - I would want to create different types of factlets:
> authors/publishers, jobs/locations (the time span during which a
> particular author is editor of a particular periodical, the time span
> during which a publisher has his office at a particular location),
> works.

OK. So you'd like types of objects if I understand correctly?

> - Is Weaving History the right place to be doing something like this?
> Or should I
> reuse the code on my own website?

Weaving History if the place.

> - If Weaving History is the right place, how should I group these into
> (a) thread(s)? A single "Penny bloods" thread? and/or the multiple
> "Penny blood authors", "Penny blood publishers", "Penny blood
> serials"?

I think that sounds fine.

> - How should I consider the "thread" in cases which are non-linear,
> like a bunch of authors?

I just use it as a blunt collection in that case and you can ignore the order.

Rufus

> Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!
>
> Please reply to my email since I am not a member of the list...
>
> Marie
> --
> Ph.D. candidate, English
> Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge
>
> Graduate Representative:
> English Faculty | School of Arts and Humanities

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation