[open-humanities] Intro to list from Simon Worthignton, Mute

Anna Powell-Smith annapowellsmith at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 21:26:32 UTC 2011

On 16 October 2011 16:11, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 12/07/11 15:49, Simon Worthington wrote:
>>
>> I think we're interested in something that goes further up a to a top
>> level of culture and then comes down into various fields. Ill spark up a
>> conversation with the Variable Media people like Jon Ippolito and see
>> what comes out of this, or the Guardian people who I met someone from
>> recently after the Culture Hack Day show-n-tell and said they had some
>> ontologies they'd been putting together.
>
> I rather lost track of this but I looked around again and there were a
> couple of interesting things I missed.
>
> The first is the work-of-art microformat:
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/work-of-art
>
> I'm *really* not sure about basing it on the "citation" microformat, but
> there's lots of interesting research there.
>
> The second is LIDO, an artifact description XML format which supersedes
> Getty's CDWA Lite:
>
> http://cidoc.mediahost.org/WG_Data_Harvesting%28en%29%28E1%29.xml
>
> And Europeana are still fighting the good fight for free data:
>
> https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/29133

[Off-topic whinge, sorry] Does this mean that Europeana will soon
allow anyone to use their API? I could never quite understand why it
was private:

http://version1.europeana.eu/web/api/faq

"Q: Why are the Europeana API Terms of Use so restrictive?
A: Europeana API Terms of Use are based on the current data agreements
with our data providers. Those agreements explicitly exclude
commercial use. Therefore we have to limit the API use to the
Europeana thematic network partners..."

Couldn't they just have made it open with a non-commercial use
condition? I wrote to ask but never got a reply.

I'm glad to hear they are fighting the good fight.