[open-humanities] New blog post on Open Shakespeare's visualisations

James Harriman-Smith james.harriman-smith at cantab.net
Fri Apr 27 09:13:42 UTC 2012

Dear all,

A new blog post with links to the code and data behind Pat Lockley's
recent visualisations of Open Shakespeare is now online:
http://openshakespeare.org/2012/04/27/touching-this-vision-comments-on-producing-shakespeare-visualisations

He raises some interesting questions, notably regarding the gap
between those with knowledge of a subject and those with the skills to
code an e-resource for it. Despite lowering entry barriers (I'm
thinking of wordpress, and CMDs, as well as simplified coding
environments), people still seem to want what Pat calls a 'magic
button'. I'm wondering how people think this situation will develop:
will overworked academics start learning some code? or will the
technology behind visualisations and text analysis keep getting
simpler until it reaches the point where you need not have any
technical background whatsoever in order to use it?

James Harriman-Smith
Lecteur d'anglais
ENS de Lyon
Bureau F323