[open-humanities] The Citation Conundrum

Philippe Aigrain philippe.aigrain at sopinspace.com
Tue Feb 14 16:37:37 UTC 2012

To further trigger the conversation, a note on what I see as a major
impediment to finding a solution that would apply to all situations:
there are two competing representations of texts:
- the linear perceptive vision ordering characters
- the tree structure where two adjacent characters can be arbitrarily
far in the tree

The first one is more WYSIWYGet, the second WYSIWYMean. They correspond
to different ways to write and read. Each can be easily translated in an
absolute reference, but this reference is instable in face of
modifications to the text or its presentation.

Philippe