[open-humanities] Open Databases for Verb Morphology

James Harriman-Smith james.harriman-smith at cantab.net
Thu Jan 19 18:08:12 UTC 2012

Hi Norma,

And thanks for the mail.

<Got an  example? >

I'm afraid that I haven't any examples of such a thing online, but what I'm
looking for would be a database that had, say, (using English regular verbs
as an archetype), all the possible variants on the verb 'walk' in it,
catalogued accordingly: 'walk' as infinitive, and, for the present tense
indicative mood, first-second person singular, and first-second-third
person plural (among others); 'walks' as third person singular; etc.

I've been working on this for a web app that would interrogate a users
knowledge of Ancient Greek verbs: http://verbgymnasium.com - it currently
runs off a set of php arrays that I made myself, but if the amount of work
needed to include verbs other than the regular verb 'luo' is rather
intimidating....

Hope that helps,

James

On 19 January 2012 18:41, Norma Leistiko <normaleistiko at me.com> wrote:

> Got an  example? I am on the lookout and would love to find this too. But
> an example to us in English would be very useful. I think I understand, but
> example would help.
>
> Norma Leistiko
> normaleistiko at me.com
> Reference Librarian, on-call in
> Portland Oregon area
>

> On Jan 19, 2012, at 2:06 AM, James Harriman-Smith wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone know of an open database for verb morphology (containing a
> collection of all the possible conjugations of a single (or several) verb
> archetype)? I'm particularly interested in Ancient Greek, but would be
> curious about resources for other languages, dead or alive.
>
> Let me know,
>
> James
>
> P.S. No sign of such a thing on http://thedatahub.org ...
>
> --
> James Harriman-Smith
> Open Literature Working Group Coordinator
> Open Knowledge Foundation
> http://okfn.org/members/jameshs
> Skype: james.harriman.smith

James Harriman-Smith