[open-humanities] Graphing the history of philosophy

Tom Oinn tomoinn at crypticsquid.com
Tue Jul 3 16:40:38 UTC 2012

Hey Anna (small world...)

I think that article highlights why the edge map work is so nice -
there's a big difference between 'showing all the information' and
'making all the information comprehensible', rendering all data out as
a graph generally doesn't really tell you much other than 'you have
lots of data', the neat thing with the edge maps (I recommend the
paper, it's very well written) is that they allow you to see structure
but pull out specific information very cleanly. I'm definitely
stealing that technique...

Tom

(this is from a perspective of repeated talks in my previous existence
as a bioinformatician where people would render all available
information in a graph, put it up on a slide and expect to be
congratulated - we really need to stop doing this...)

On 3 July 2012 17:31, Sam Leon <sam.leon at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi Anna,
>
> This is fantastic, thanks for sharing!
>
> I also came across this very cool philosophy visualisation project from 2011
> the other day that people here might be interested in here:
>
> http://mariandoerk.de/edgemaps/
>
> Cheers,
> Sam
>
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Anna Powell-Smith
> <annapowellsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Via Tony Hirst - a network graph of philosophical influence, using
>> dbpedia and gephi:
>>

>> http://drunks-and-lampposts.com/2012/06/13/graphing-the-history-of-philosophy/
>>
>> And graphing every idea in history:
>>

>> http://griffsgraphs.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/graphing-every-idea-in-history/

> Sam Leon
> Community Coordinator
> Open Knowledge Foundation
> http://okfn.org/
> Twitter: @noeL_maS
> Skype: samedleon

Tom Oinn, Director, Cryptic Squid Ltd.
+44 (0) 20 8123 5142 or Skype ID 'tomoinn'
http://www.crypticsquid.com