[open-humanities] Fwd: [Humanist] 26.1026 DigiPal relaunched

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon May 6 13:11:00 UTC 2013

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Dear all,

With great delight, the DigiPal team at the Department of Digital Humanities
(King's College London) announce the launch of the new DigiPal website at
http://digipal.eu<http://digipal.eu/>

For those of you who haven't been following our progress, DigiPal is a
web-based resource for the delivery of palaeographical content. Although our
test case is eleventh-century Anglo-Saxon vernacular script, the underlying
DigiPal framework has been designed to work with multiple periods and
languages, and we already have Scandinavian and Hebrew projects using our
tools, with the intention to extend the framework to further materials,
including cuneiform.

At present, there are c. 300 high quality images available on our site and
we've annotated over 12,000 individual letters.

Oh, and thanks to funding from the ERC (EU FP7), everything is available for
free ;-)

To get you started, here are a couple of serving suggestions:

A) For f. 29v of Cambridge, Corpus Christi College 173, visit:
http://www.digipal.eu/digipal/page/110/

Things you might like to try:

1) Turn annotations On/Off2) Click on a highlighted letter to see our
description
3) Click on "Filter annotations" to highlight a particular letter, or
series of letters, that we have annotated
4) Click on the "Annotations by allograph" tab. If you click on an
allograph, it will take you back to the ms context, with that letter
highlighted
5) Click on the "This record has 19 images" to see other folios from this
ms.

NB: The metadata is very basic at the moment. Eventually, there will be all
sorts of information, including Ker, Scragg, Gneuss, Sawyer, etc. numbers.
A summary of the content of the manuscript. Information aggregated from
other projects who have generously shared their data, e.g. "English
Manuscripts 1060 to 1220":
http://www.le.ac.uk/english/em1060to1220/mss/EM.CCCC.173.htm

B) To see all the manuscripts from Cambridge, Corpus Christi College
currently in the DigiPal database, visit:

http://www.digipal.eu/digipal/page/?town_or_city=&repository=Corpus+Christi+College&date=

NB: Click on the "Images" button on the right to see thumbnail images.

With a big thank you to everyone who has helped us to get this far! There's
c. 18 months of the project left and *much* more to come still. So, please
get in touch with feedback and encouragement ;-)

Have fun,
Stewart
--
Dr Stewart J Brookes