[open-humanities] Mapping Open Correspondence Data - Labs Hangout Write Up

Sam Leon sam.leon at okfn.org
Thu May 30 11:32:29 UTC 2013

Hi All,

For those who weren't able to join our first hangout to hack together a
workflow for mapping open correspondence data on Tuesday here is a brief
write-up:

1. We set out the tasks that would be involved (they can be seen
here<http://bit.ly/149Mzwc>
)
2. We began writing documentation on how to do open book scanning and run a
book scanning session - first draft included at the bottom of the notes
document <http://bit.ly/149Mzwc>
3. We began pulling together lists of correspondence resources that could
be used. You can see this
here<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AodPPKE4dQUSdFcwNmRUc0pvQzEzT21uSUlmUFVnWUE#gid=0>
(some
are proprietary)
4. We began building a data model for correspondence data
5. We began looking at network visualisation tools for mapping the
correspondence data

More details on the above and some background (including some early
visualisations of Dickens's correspondence made by Iain Emsley) can be
found in the document we used on the call:

http://bit.ly/149Mzwc

*The next Hangout will be on Tuesday 25th June at 5:00pm BST (last Tuesday
of the month). I will ping the list closer to the time as a reminder.*
*
*
We're keen to continue work in the interim period and many of you have
contacted me to say you're interested in being involved but couldn't make
the hangout -- if that's the case please put any questions or suggestions
you have to the Labs List <http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/okfn-labs>
.
*
*