[open-humanities] Coding da Vinci - first open cultural data hackathon in Germany

Helene Hahn helene.hahn at okfn.org
Wed Apr 2 19:14:09 UTC 2014

Dear list members,

currently we are organising the first 10 week hackathon on open cultural
data in Germany that I want to inform you about and invite you to
participate in.
We'd be happy to see you in Berlin. Please spread the word.

All the best,
Helene

Coding da Vinci (http://www.codingdavinci.de
<http://www.codingdavinci.de/>), the first German open cultural data
hackathon will take place in Berlin to bring together both cultural
heritage institutions and the hacker & designer community to develop
ideas and prototypes for the cultural sector and the public. It'll be
structured as a 10-week-challenge running from April 26th until July
6thunder the motto "Let them play with your toys!", coined by Jo Pugh of
the UK National Archives. All projects will be presented online for
everyone to benefit from, and prizes will be awarded to the best
projects at the end of the hackathon.

The participating GLAMs have contributed a huge range of data for use in
the hackathon, including highlights such as urban images (including
metadata) of Berlin in the 18th and 19th centuries, scans of shadow
boxes containing insects and Jewish address-books from the 1930s in
Germany, and much more! In addition, the German Digital Library will
provide their API to hackathon participants.

We're also very happy to say that for a limited number of participants,
we'll can offer to cover travel and accommodation expenses - all you
have to do is toapply now <http://codingdavinci.de/anmeldung/>!

All prices, challenges anddatasets <http://codingdavinci.de/daten/>will
soon be presented online.

This hackathon is organized by:

German Digital Library
<https://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliothek.de/>,Service Centre
Digitization Berlin
<http://www.servicestelle-digitalisierung.de/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=917513>,Open
Knowledge Foundation Germany <http://okfn.de>,Wikimedia Germany
<http://www.wikimedia.de>

--
Helene Hahn
Projektleiterin

Open Knowledge Foundation Deutschland e.V.
Gneisenaustr. 52, 10961 Berlin
www.okfn.de <http://okfn.de/> | info at okfn.de <mailto:info at okfn.de> |
@okfde <https://twitter.com/okfde>
+49 30 57703666 2 | Fax: +49 30 57703666 9

Wir setzen uns für offenes Wissen ein! Sie auch <http://okfn.de/support/>?