[open-humanities] 25,000 early modern texts to be released CC0

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 30 23:09:48 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I don't want to pre-empt our more official announcement in the
next day or so, which I'll make sure to send to this list, but
all these texts will be released in a variety of forms.

The total number is actually more than 25000 (even in the phase 1
CC0 release from 1 Jan 2015). The TEI P5 XML is the modern
'source' that you should use for any future derivative projects:
I would strongly recommend not starting from the TCP original
SGML. (A lot of work has gone into this conversion to preserve
intellectual content and intentions of the original encoders.) In
addition to the TEI P5 XML, a basic HTML Web version of each
text, EPUB version, and a link to ProQuest's EEBO images (but you
institution needs to subscribe to that) will be available from
the University of Oxford Text Archive. The 'source' link will go
to a GitHub repository for each text. There are tools we will
provide on github for those wishing to download all of the
individual texts.

Happy New Year.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk