[open-humanities] OpenLiterature v1.0 - let's do a reboot!

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jun 5 17:02:30 UTC 2015

On 5 June 2015 at 10:06, Eric Hellman <eric at hellman.net> wrote:

> Hi Rufus!
>
> Gitenberg is open source and forkable, we'd welcome any help you can
> contribute. Please join our google group and make suggestions there or
> alternatively, create issues in the gitenberg-dev github repo so the whole
> community can participate in the discussion.

I got that - right now though i'm not offering to do code contribution.
Rather, based on our experience with Open Shakespeare, Open Literature etc
over the last 8-9y I'm making suggestions for a reuse and convergence ...

> Of course it's a compromise to colocate text and markup, but my
> observation has been that separation of text and markup is unnatural for
> most humans; what you end up with in uncontrolled production environments
> is pervasive implicit markup, which is the worst of both worlds. Project
> Gutenberg has played out this conflict for 40 years with Michael Hart
> single-handedly holding back html for many years until he finally relented.
> May he rest in peace.

I got you, though the point is especially with annotation there are huge
tech gains with doing the separation. To be clear, you could take asciidoc
and convert to Textus format. I assume you have read the Textus slide deck
at: http://okfnlabs.org/textus/

> I am curious as to the specifics of your work with Open Shakespeare.
>
> yaml is a formal superset of json; I suppose that means you could do
> datapackage in yaml. I don't understand the value-add of datapackage
> specifically- which of the many problems that we need to solve will it help
> with?

You could, and you could do it in xml or anything else. But it is done in
json ;-)

The problem Data Package solves for you is converging on a standard
metadata
sidecar" format that is customizable and has been thought through and is
being used - rather than inventing ab initio. I am happy to go through the
yaml vs json if you want but the basics is that everything, including
browsers, natively supports JSON whilst that is not true for yaml (and yaml
is ultimately just about as hard to write reliably for non-techies as json
...)

Rufus

--

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock