[Open-Legislation] open-legislation Digest, Vol 8, Issue 1
mariyab at africanlii.org
Fri Aug 26 12:14:41 UTC 2011
Yes, this message was posted on the OpenGov list yesterday:
** Apologies for Crossposts **
I am happy to announce that the Leibniz Center for Law of the University of Amsterdam has made all Dutch legislation available as CEN MetaLex and Linked Open Data through the MetaLex Document Server portal (MDS) .
The MetaLex Document Server project was started to overcome limitations of the legal content services provided by the Dutch government: the XML source documents currently made available by the Dutch government are simply not good enough.
The MetaLex Document Server improves over the XML API of the official portal by:
* Providing persistent, versioned identifiers of all elements of regulations.
* Maintaining source XML for all versions of legislation since May 2011, rather than only the latest version.
* All metadata is published as RDF Linked Data, is linked to the original legislative sources, and uses standard vocabularies such as the MetaLex Ontology, Dublin Core, Open Provenance Model Vocabulary, Simple Event Model,FOAF, etc.
* All documents and metadata are available through 'content negotiation': content can be retrieved by using the URI (identifier) of an element as a URL.
* Metadata is accessible through a SPARQL endpoint
* Citations between regulations are made available in a format suitable for social network analysis (Pajek/Gephi)
* A generic conversion script for transforming any legislative XML to CEN MetaLex
For more information, visit the website  have a look at the presentation on slideshare , or contact me directly.
A report on this work will be published as part of the proceedings of the International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2011: "Rinke Hoekstra. The MetaLex Document Server - Legal Documents as Versioned Linked Data"
Dr Rinke Hoekstra
AI Department (Guest) | Leibniz Center for Law
Faculty of Sciences | Faculty of Law
Vrije Universiteit | Universiteit van Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1081a | Vendelstraat 8 (BG13a)
1081 HV Amsterdam | Postbus 1030
| 1000 BA Amsterdam
+31-(0)20-5987752 | +31-(0)20-5253497
r.j.hoekstra at vu.nl | hoekstra at uva.nl
open-government mailing list
open-government at lists.okfn.org
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:43:38 +0200
From: stef <stefan.marsiske at gmail.com>
Subject: [Open-Legislation] metalex
To: open-legislation <open-legislation at lists.okfn.org>
Message-ID: <20110825124338.GL5318 at ctrlc.hu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
hey, this looks interesting: http://www.metalex.eu/
> CEN MetaLex is an interchange format, a lowest common denominator for other
> standards, intended not to replace jurisdiction-specific standards and
> vendor-specific formats in the publications process but to impose a
> standardized view on legal documents for the purposes of information exchange
> and interoperability in the context of software development.
does anyone have contacts, or more info?
(via pudo, thx!)
gpg fp: F617 AC77 6E86 5830 08B8 BB96 E7A4 C6CF A84A 7140
open-legislation mailing list
open-legislation at lists.okfn.org
End of open-legislation Digest, Vol 8, Issue 1
More information about the open-legislation