[Open-Legislation] automated law analysis

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 15:10:36 UTC 2011

On 5 March 2011 14:52, stef <stefan.marsiske at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey,
>
> quite interesting article on the state-of-teh-art in legal analysis:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/science/05legal.html?_r=1

Its interesting, but very much on the "forensic" rather than "legal"
side. The training one needs to put together a disclosure list
(discovery in the US I think) is mainly about identifying which
documents are relevant and which are not. That is a lawyer skill, but
its usually some way removed from a knowledge of law and I suspect the
exercise in question is almost entirely forensic (looking at
relationships between documents) rather than legal-analytical. We are
still a little way off the latter being even vaguely sensible.

There's also a question of filtering out privileged communications,
but I suspect that's easily done.

--
Francis Davey