[Open-Legislation] [PMO Network] A minister says NosDéputés.fr has a dangerous effect on the French Parliament

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Mon Sep 10 23:45:18 UTC 2012

On 09/10/2012 05:26 AM, Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou wrote:
> - MPs would have started to speak saying repeated things within
> comittee reunions just to appear on our website and therefore would
> pollute the debates and make them slower.

Hi, Benjamin.

There is some evidence that this, as well as the opposite of this, has
happened elsewhere.  A 2006 article in the Times of London claimed that
British MPs had been participating in more debates and offering more
questions for question time in an attempt to influence the metrics on
TheyWorkForYou. Malesky, Schuler, and Tran (2011) found that Vietnamese
politicians whose activities were being quantified asked fewer questions
in their equivalent of question time. (Full citations here:
http://opengovdata.io/2012-02/page/6-1/unintended-consequences-and-the-limits-transparency)

So even if it hasn't happened yet in your case, it very well could.

This issue is something the opengov community hasn't tackled very well
yet. While there have been discussions of purported cases where
transparency caused harm, the discussions have revolved so far around
whether there was actual harm and whether transparency was responsible.
But let's assume there's some actual harm. Could that ever mean we
shouldn't shine light on particular public records?

A serious question for you: If you found that NosDéputés.fr did in fact
lower the quality of debate, would that change how you present the
information?

- Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)

http://razor.occams.info