[Open-Legislation] amendments liberated

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Mon Sep 24 11:42:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 01:27:40PM +0200, Niels Erik Kaaber Rasmussen wrote:
> With this tool it would be possible to generate interactive
> legislative texts for the EU (an expanded version of manybills.us?).
> A consolidated piece of legislation with EP amendtments highlighted
> and with reference to the EP-committees, political groups, MEPs etc.

indeed. the data is there, if anyone beats me to it, i don't have to do it
myself. ;)

> and with changes made by each institution (Commission, EP, Council)

council/commission are different beasts unfortunately, also "compromise
amendments" do muddle the picture and reduce transparency/accountability.

> highlighted in different colours and with direct references to the
> corresponding meeting and the relevant vote.

oh, yes, votes are also available. so much data and not enough resources to
prepare all of it... :)

> This would enable citizens to easily investegate the process behind each
> piece of EU-legislation and find the responsible institutions/politicians.

indeed. also it gives you a great profile on meps. i'm unsure if any
aggregated amendments/mep db is anywhere available.

--
gpg: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
gpg fp: F617 AC77 6E86 5830 08B8  BB96 E7A4 C6CF A84A 7140