[Open-Legislation] Fwd: [Fal] Vol. 1 No. 1 of JOAL is out now!

JOSEFSSON Erik erik.josefsson at europarl.europa.eu
Fri Dec 27 19:11:14 UTC 2013

Thanks Clemens!

I'm tracking legislation with Parltack. The decision making process itself defines my work (as described below). It's really not complicated.

Regarding case law, I must admit that I don't have bandwidth to read as much as I want to, but maybe I can share an inspiring quote from the AG in Council v Access Case C‑280/11 P:

63. 'Legislating' is, by definition, a law-making activity that in a democratic society can only occur through the use of a procedure that is public in nature and, in that sense, 'transparent'. Otherwise, it would not be possible to ascribe to 'law' the virtue of being the expression of the will of those that must obey it, which is the very foundation of its legitimacy as an indisputable edict. In a representative democracy, and this term must apply to the EU, it must be possible for citizens to find out about the legislative procedure, since if this were not so, citizens would be unable to hold their representatives politically accountable, as they must be by virtue of their electoral mandate.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:62011CC0280:EN:HTML

When it comes to politics, I'd say every tiny step matters. That's why I'd like to ask again for your help to get Schulz to commission that legal study on Rule 103 and its bearing on ICT (which in this context implies Open Data) which the EP has asked for twice. Just remind him.

Here's my tweet about it: https://twitter.com/erikjosefsson/status/414423505178882048

And the long mail: https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/mydata-open-data/2013-December/000193.html

Best regards.

//Erik