[Open-Legislation] Harvard Business School Case: Procurement of Legal Services

Clemens Wass clemens at wass.at
Mon Nov 4 18:25:40 UTC 2013

Sure, no problem, but I have to say I have not read the case study yet (I
try to get it asap) and I have not seen the platform. I have only watched
the video. However, the idea behind is logical, this is being done in other
markets every day since decades.

The company has set up a process where every new legal service request
above a certain threshold will go through a reverse-auction process. Law
firms can "apply" there and send a proposal to the company. The law firms
must obviously fulfill certain quality standards, but once these are met,
there is only a price negotiation with the short list.
Savings for this fortune 500 company are supposed to be over a million over
the past three years. I can give you more details once I have the case
study.

And of course, procurement is nothing new nor special, but it is
interesting to see it in a organized/standardized system in connection with
legal services. Sure, not every company is a fortune 500 company, but
still...

Best, Clemens