[Open-Legislation] openlaws.eu EU Project starting today

Clemens Wass clemens at wass.at
Wed Apr 2 19:58:55 UTC 2014

Dear Erik,

what is your point?

I understand that you get angry by reading the word Google. I agree that
Google is NOT the solution. What we do is to provide a Google Custom Search
for a few selected legal domains as a quick and - in your eyes VERY - dirty
solution FOR THE BEGINNING. I would prefer to have a solar/lucene/nutch
solution running by today that has built a huge index already. But this is
day 2.
I know many legal experts who are using Google because the search
capabilities of the national database are not sufficient. They teach that
even at university in legal research courses. Is your suggestion to take
that search down immediately?

Regarding licenses: Again, this is day 2. We have no software yet. We have
not defined yet which tools we will use for building the platform. The
software will be licensed accordingly under an open source license. I am
sorry I cannot say more at the moment, but why do you doubt that?

We are trying to build a system based on open source software, open
innovation and open data. What is wrong with that?

There has not a lot been going on on this mailing list since quite a while
and I think this a positive signal for open legislation. I hope that there
will be a productive discussion and all suggestions are highly welcome.

So Eric, what are your suggestions?

Best, Clemens