[Open-Legislation] openlaws.eu EU Project starting today

Eric Mill eric at sunlightfoundation.com
Thu Apr 3 14:41:14 UTC 2014

> > If you're not entering the data into the public domain
>
> Not all countries have a legal concept of "public domain." You cannot
> assign works to the public domain in Canada, and you can't remove someone
> else's copyright, just like that. All laws in Canada have copyright
> protection, automatically, with no option to waive copyright. It would
> require a change to a federal statute to change that. In Canada, we find
> other ways of making data available for free to the public - without
> entering data into public domain, because that's impossible / doesn't even
> make sense in Canadian law.

Thanks for clarifying that, I was speaking sloppily. I meant an approach
like CC0 <https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/> or
PDDL<http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/>,
which dedicate works to the public domain where it exists, and uses a
fallback license where it doesn't to simulate the public domain as closely
as possible.

> James

Developer | sunlightfoundation.com