[Open-Legislation] openlaws.eu EU Project starting today

James McKinney james at opennorth.ca
Thu Apr 3 14:58:01 UTC 2014

On Apr 3, 2014, at 10:56 AM, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 10:48:31AM -0400, James McKinney wrote:
>> But, Eric, you can’t simply claim the copyright that belongs to a court. You can’t slap CC0 on another person’s work. It is up to the court to decide how it licenses its decisions, and up to the government how it licenses its laws… This project is neither a court nor a government…
>
> such laws must be cha(lle)nged. it is a simple paragraph to the copyright
> law, saying all court material, legislative data, (list goes on...) is exempt
> from copyright (except moral rights, which are unwaivable) and in the public
> domain, this is not very difficult, there is a lot of precedents for that in
> other jurisdictions.

Ok, but we are getting a bit far from what started as the introduction of a new project to work within the legal system to improve access.

There should certainly be initiatives to amend copyright laws, but we should not pile all our desires onto this one project.

For what it’s worth, I agree that such exceptions should be made for court decisions, legislation, etc.