[Open-Legislation] French civil code on git

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 11:33:08 UTC 2015

>:

> This is getting interesting.
>
> [Replace "dhfgsdfsd" by "qsdfsdfhsdf"] is a quite common instruction in
> the EP too.
>
> See e.g. Telecoms Package (i.e. 2009/136+140/EC).
>
> http://euwiki.org/Telecoms_Package
>
> It would be awesome to re-verse-engineer that lingo to see if it is
> systematic enough to do automatic substitution.

I think it might be, but it is hard to say. If EU legislation is being kept
up to date by someone, we wouldn't need to.

I did try this with some UK legislation. Quite a lot is easy enough,
although the organisation of UK legislation can make even that difficult,
but there are enough odd cases that it began to get hard. My guess is that
there is a long tail of rare cases and odd usages that would make any
really comprehensive job too difficult.

Jon Sheridan knows all about this and has thought about it a lot for
legislation.gov.uk. Since there is a publicly sponsored effort to make this
all work right, I haven't felt motivated to do any more trying, fun though
it is of course.
--
Francis Davey