[open-linguistics] Joint activities (was Creation of a joint linguistic LOD cloud)

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Thu Nov 3 19:20:10 UTC 2011

Dear all,

at first, thanks to Sebastian for announcing the resource creation
challenge. If I may elaborate a bit: The idea of the ISWC meeting was to
have a brain storming session on future activities of the working group.
Assembling resources for a Linguistic LOD cloud was a very attractive
option for the participants of the ISWC meeting, so, we will go for it.
This does not, of course, rule out that other ideas are not pursued, as
well, and we can continue brainstorming over the list.

At the very beginning, about a year ago, the working group concentrated on
identifying some common goals for the working group (with results
summarized in
http://linguistics.okfn.org/2011/05/20/the-open-linguistics-working-group/),
and since spring this year, we tried to involve more people to reach a
critical mass in order to come with some common activities (we had the
OKCon workshop, and in March the LDL will follow). Now, there are around
70 people on the list, and it would be interesting to see what we can
achieve as a group.

There have been several ideas around before. We assembled a list of
potentially interesting, mostly open resources and integrated some of them
in CKAN. I personally liked Richard's earlier idea of a workflow
repository (although I am not sure whether this is different from the
goals of UiMA or GATE -- at least for the NLP community). And of course,
there was the idea of a Linguistic LOD that seemed to be what most OKCon
participants were heading for, including myself. The current resource
creation drive is an experiment to see whether this idea can mobilize
people to contribute actively, but other ideas are always welcome, too.