[open-linguistics] Criteria for Inclusion in LLOD

Steven Moran bambooforest at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 10:36:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Pablo N. Mendes <pablomendes at gmail.com>wrote:

> My opinion:
>
> 2. Do we require the data to be "open"?
>

> An alternative is to require the data to have explicit licensing
> information.

Linguists are notoriously protective of "their" data and why shouldn't they
be?

A classic example is the field linguist who risks life and limb living with
a group of speakers for years in some harsh environment. They write a
grammar and dictionary for their PhD and come out if it all with all of
only two publications. In many places that dictionary, for example, is
deemed roughly equivalent to a journal paper. It's clear why they might not
want to post the data online, without license, before they can use it for
more publications. I'm not arguing that it's right, it's just the state of
the field in some countries.

Allowing explicit licenses could get more linguists to add their data sets.
Once the ball is rolling and they don't feel that their data is being
"stolen", we'd be on a path to getting them to open it completely.

> 3. Shall we include schema? E.g. DBpedia Ontology, GOLD, POWLA, etc.
>

> Yes, but only if terms are dereferenceable.

Sounds good.

> 4. a) What counts as Linguistic data set and what not?
>

> Maybe better explained by example. DBpedia is the target data set for
> DBpedia Spotlight's Entity Linking algorithms. Therefore it is useful for
> NLP. However, on the same grounds, every other data set from the LOD
> diagram would also be a member of the LLOD. There is a part of DBpedia,
> though, that is more focused on supporting NLP tasks [1]. It provides
> labels for resources in several languages, topic signatures, etc. Perhaps
> we can include such "slices" of datasets whenever they are available.

Also sounds good. The line between linguistic and non-linguistic data set
gets a bit blurry depending on the application. I think in general people
involved will just know and it will ultimately depend on the application(s).

Best,

-Steve