[open-linguistics] META-NET Data Liberation Campaign

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Thu Dec 6 19:45:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 14:40:30 -0800, Dave Lewis <dave.lewis at cs.tcd.ie>
wrote:

> A very interesting discussion - thanks.
>
> I don't think there is anything inherent in the nature of EU-funded
> industry-academia cooperation that means the industrial partners must
> have rights over language resources produced. This is a matter for
> negotiation in forming the consortium agreement. I've seen projects in
> other thematic areas where the PO is very insistent that models, data
> and even software are made openly available royalty free.

I totally agree, what I was saying is just that one can't force openness
on the consortium from the outside if they are reluctant.

The second aspect is that the scientific community should not only
continue to actively promote open data, but moreover, try to document such
experiences, pros and cons of open linguistic data, maybe even ideas for
business models around open linguistic data. It might give an orientation
to people preparing for novel industry-academia cooperations in our
field(s).

Maybe, we should think about asking people on and off the list to share
their experiences on licensing and related discussions in
industry-academia cooperations on the blog ? (Without disclosing anything
confidential, of course, just to get an impression. But as it may still be
a sensitive matter, we could also do it anonymously -- just send me the
text and I post it for the author.)

Anyone interested ? (Please feel free to respond off-list, if necessary.)

All the best,
Christian
--
Christian Chiarcos