[open-linguistics] Call for Participation: MLODE (Multilingual Open Data for Enterprises)

Richard Littauer richard.littauer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:57:03 UTC 2012

*Save the date: Leipzig, Germany 23-24-25 September 2012
http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode
Co-located with the Leipziger Semantic Web Day: http://aksw.org/lswt

====== Multilingual Linked Open Data for Enterprises ======

MLODE will bring together developers, data producers, academia and
enterprises and connect people, communities, data and industrial use cases.
The workshop will be very interactive and you are expected to help us
achieve common goals:

   -  Bootstrap and build a Linguistic Linked Open Data Cloud (LLOD):
   http://linguistics.okfn.org/resources/llod/
   -  Establish best practices for multilingual linked open data
   -  Create incentives for businesses and lower the barrier for
   participation in LOD for natural language processing and
   internationalisation and localisation enterprises.

We are expecting intensive participation by members of the following
communities (these are teasers, see the **detailed descriptions for each
community** further below):

   - DBpedia ( http://dbpedia.org <about:blank> ): DBpedia International
   now has over 10 language-specific chapters (such as
http://el.dbpedia.org). At the MLODE workshop there will be a DBpedia
Developers meetup. We will
   discuss the “Future of DBpedia” and create a common Road Map. If you want
   to get more involved in DBpedia, the workshop will be a good opportunity to
   meet the team.
   - Working Group for Open Data in Linguistics (OWLG,
http://linguistics.okfn.org
   <http://linguistics.okfn.org/)> ): Now is the time to get your data into
   the LLOD cloud! We have created a development team that will convert your
   data to RDF and help establish links: http://code.google.com/p/mlode/ .
   Please submit your data sets soon! (Furthermore we will have a legal
   session to discuss licensing issues.)
   - Multilingual Web ( http://www.multilingualweb.eu ): Free, open data
   and lexica; we will have a session discussing best practices for
   multilingual linked open data (
   http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod ) and
   compatibility with the RDF world with ITS 2.0.
   - Apache Stanbol ( http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/ ): Enterprises
   will have the chance to present their use cases during lightning talks and
   we will have a Apache Stanbol Booth and an install fest to show hands-on
   how combined usage of public and closed data can be achieved and what
   benefits firms can gain from using these rapidly increasing data pools.
   - Ontolex W3C Community Group ( http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/ ):
   Monnet Challenge will provide a data bounty for developers who convert data
   sets using lemon.
   - Also: NLP2RDF (http://nlp2rdf.org) - the NIF project, DBpedia
   Spotlight (http://spotlight.dbpedia.org ), Wiktionary2RDF (
   http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary )

How you can contribute:

  * Contact us if you are an enterprise and want to prepare a small
presentation/lightning talk about your business use cases (using LOD) or
problems you have (please see below for details)
  * Contact us if you want to give a short presentation on a relevant topic
 * We are looking for a sponsor for a DBpedia Booth
  * Submit your data sets for the LLOD: http://code.google.com/p/mlode/
  * Become a sponsor of the workshop:
http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode/funding?&#sponsorship
  * Or donate money and help the individual communities:
http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode/Funding

DBpedia is a good example of a freely available and open data set that was
generated by crowd-sourcing and academia, but it has provided an immense
value to businesses and industry. We want to build on and continue this
success for the areas of natural language processing enterprises and the
internationalisation and localisation industries.

The goal of the workshop is to bootstrap a Multilingual Linked Open Data
cloud by bringing together many different linked open data sets and by
creating synergy among different research and business communities. This
workshop is aimed at researchers and industry and commercial consumers of
data produced by research. We hope for mutual benefits between (potentially
non-commercial) data providers and enterprises: Open-source and
open-licences for software have shown that they can be successful in a
commercial environment. How can we transfer these models to Multilingual
Linked Open Data? And how can the transformation of currently monolingual
Linked Open Data sources into a Multilingual Web of Open Data spur
cross-linguistic research, and commercial applications in
internationalisation and localisation enterprises?

===== Sponsors =====
We would like to thank our sponsors for supporting the workshop:
  * The **Working MultilingualWeb-LT Working Group** -
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/
  * The **Interactive Knowledge Stack (IKS) EU Research Project** -
http://www.iks-project.eu/
  * The **Monnet Project** - http://www.monnet-project.eu/

===== Monnet Challenge =====
The Monnet Project (http://www.monnet-project.eu/) is offering the
following bounties for the conversion of existing linguistic resources into
linked data, in particular focussing on the lemon format (
http://www.monnet-project.eu/lemon) . **Bounties are 600, 400, 200, 100, 50
Euros** . The selection of winners will be done by a committee of Ontolex
community members. *
*
Core criteria:
 * Number of triples (relative to other submissions)
  * Expressiveness and quality of lemon used (How many properties and
classes of lemon are you using? Are you using them correctly?)
  * Impact (Is the data set you converted important and central to our
cause? We also rate large data sets for less-spoken languages higher,
because of the rarity effect.)

Additional criteria:
 * Note that you can convert and submit more than one data set. You will be
rated for the combined data you converted (so each person can only make one
submission).
  * You will be given extra points if you publish converted data early and
other people build upon your work (e.g. fix errors).
 * All submissions will be considered for inclusion in the data
post-proceedings.

Detailed information on how to submit can be found on the Monnet Challenge
page: http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode/monnet-challenge

Submission will end 10 days before the workshop. The deadline therefore is
**September 13th, 2012**.

===== Planned Sessions =====
Each session will have an etherpad
http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode/etherpadso that you can already
participate in advance.

==== Submit your data today ====
In preparation, from now until September 23rd, we will:
  * Collect data sets relevant to the Linguistic Linked Open Data Cloud
http://code.google.com/p/mlode/
  * Provide conversion services and data 'bounties' to convert as much data
as possible to RDF before the workshop
 * Help debugging and hosting your Linked Data

We are interested in data that is linguistic in nature, such as corpora and
lexica, as well as data that might be used to improve Natural Language
Processing methods such as large governmental parallel corpora or entity
linking engines.

==== Sun 23th: Community Get Together ====
Community Get Together - no program, just social activities, e.g. barbecue,
beach volleyball. Time and place will be announced soon.

==== 24th: Code-Sprint-a-Thon ====
Code-Sprint-a-Thon (hands-on workshop) with data providers, visionaries and
developers from all communities. The focus of the Code-Sprint-a-Thon will
be on gathering the requirements and use cases from attendees and then
developers will start to initiate these ideas with the collected data sets,
e.g. interesting cross-data set queries, visualisations, data mash-ups. The
result will be more Multilingual Linked Open Data, more links, more tools
and more applications.

=== DBpedia ===
Many DBpedia developers will be available during this workshop so that you
can ask them questions directly. Bring your laptop and they will show you
how to download and query DBpedia.

=== Apache Stanbol ===
Developers from Apache Stanbol ( http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/ )
will be at the Apache Stanbol booth and they will have an install fest to
show hands-on how combined usage of public and closed data can be achieved
and what benefits firms can gain from using the rapidly increasing data
pools.

==== 25th: Announcements ====
  * State of the Linguistic LOD Cloud (
http://linguistics.okfn.org/resources/llod/ )
  * NIF 2.0 (http://wiki.nlp2rdf.org/)
 * Presentation of the results of the Code-Sprint-a-Thon
  * Announcement of the Monnet Challenge Winners

====25th: Lightning Talks: Use Cases by Enterprises ====
We are looking for companies to present their use cases and/or products
that are relevant to the topics of the MLODE workshop. Please contact us if
your enterprise would like to present on a topic from this (non-exhaustive)
list:
  * Use cases based on Linked Data (either open or closed)
 * Solutions that are built with data from the LOD cloud
  * Problems that constitute barriers for economic exploitation of LOD
 * Ideas of what could be built with Linguistic/Multilingual LOD

We aim to address questions like:
 * How can we unlock the data created by research and open communities for
enterprises?
  * What is missing?
 * How can we build bridges?

Submission ends on September 13th, which is one week before the workshop.
Presentations will be around 3-5 minutes.

====25th: Session on Best Practices for Multilingual Linked Open Data ====
Please have a look at the etherpad:
http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod<http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod?>
 <http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod?>
====25th: Session on Legal Issues ====
Erik Ketzan (http://www.linkedin.com/in/erikketzan) will present the Clarin
Legal Helpdesk and talk about current problems regarding database licences.
Please have a look at the etherpad: http://mlode.okfnpad.org/legal-session

==== 25th: Session on DBpedia Roadmap ====
Please have a look at the etherpad: http://mlode.okfnpad.org/DBpedia-roadmap

==== Data post proceedings ====
This workshop will publish a data post proceedings. As this is a new
concept, the rules for submission are not yet fixed. We will collect ideas
here: http://mlode.okfnpad.org/data-post-proceedings
During the discussion at the conference, we will pin down the details.

===== Participating Communities =====

==== Multilingual Web ====
MLODE Contact: Dominic Jones ( https://www.scss.tcd.ie/dominic.jones/ )
Many ideas were generated into the best-practice use of Multilingual LOD at
the W3C sponsored "Multilingual Web – Linked Open Data and
MultilingualWeb-LT Requirements" workshop held in Dublin, Ireland, June
2012 (
http://www.multilingualweb.eu/en/documents/dublin-workshop/dublin-program).
One of the aims of MLODE workshop is to continue discussion around the
best-practices for application of LOD in the Multilingual Web and the
transformation of currently monolingual LOD resources into multiple
languages, for example a multi-lingual DBpedia. Topics for discussion and
talking points will be carried over from the Dublin workshop and discussed
during the MLODE workshop but new ideas or suggestions are of course
welcome and requested. We will have a session discussing best practices for
multilingual linked open data and compatibility of the RDF world with ITS
2.0. You can already participate in the discussion:
http://mlode.okfnpad.org/best-practices-multilingual-lod

==== DBpedia ====
MLODE Contact: Dimitris Kontokostas
DBpedia ( http://dbpedia.org <about:blank> ): DBpedia International now has
over 10 language-specific chapters (such as http://el.dbpedia.org ) . At
the workshop there will be a DBpedia Developers meetup, we will discuss the
“Future of DBpedia” and create a common Road Map. If you want to get more
involved in DBpedia, the workshop will be a good opportunity to meet the
team.

==== OWLG ====
MLODE Contact:  Richard Littauer
Working Group for Open Data in Linguistics (OWLG, http://linguistics.okfn.org
<http://linguistics.okfn.org/)> ): Now is the time to get your data into
the LLOD cloud! We have created a development team that will convert your
data to RDF and help establish links: http://code.google.com/p/mlode/ .
Please submit your data sets! (Furthermore we will have a legal session to
discuss licensing issues.)

==== Ontolex ====
MLODE Contact: John McCrae
Ontolex W3C Community Group ( http://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/ ):
Monnet Challenge will provide a data bounty for developers who convert data
sets using lemon

==== Apache Stanbol ====
MLODE Contact: John Pereira
Apache Stanbol ( http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/ ): Enterprises will
have the chance to present their use cases during lightning talks and we
will have a Apache Stanbol Booth and an install fest to show hands-on how
combined usage of public and closed data can be achieved and what benefits
firms can gain from using the rapidly increasing data pools.

==== NLP2RDF ====
NLP2RDF (http://nlp2rdf.org): the NIF project will announce the new NIF 2.0
Specification at the conference. Discussion is currently going on at the
Wiki (http://wiki.nlp2rdf.org)

==== Other Communities ====
 * DBpedia Spotlight (http://spotlight.dbpedia.org )
  * Wiktionary2RDF (http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary )

===== Program  =====
Will be announced soon.

===== Contact =====
For any inquiries regarding the workshop, you can reach the //whole// MLODE
committee at //mlode2012 [at] lists.informatik.uni-leipzig.de//.

If you are interested in sponsoring the event, please contact the workshop
organizers (Sebastian Hellmann and Steven Moran) through
 //mlode2012-sponsor [at] lists.informatik.uni-leipzig.de// .

Some financial aid may be available (travel cost or conference fee), please
contact Steven Moran //mlode2012-sponsor [at]
lists.informatik.uni-leipzig.de// .

==== MLODE Committee ====
TBA

==== Venue ====
TBA: venue, accommodations, etc., point SABRE stuff*

--
Richard Littauer
Erasmus Mundus MSc in Computational Linguistics | Saarland University