[open-linguistics] Workshop Multilingual Linked Open Data for Enterprises

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Jun 20 11:36:13 UTC 2012

Dear all (i.e. Open Linguistics, Wiktionary2RDF, DBpedia and NIF community),
(Note, that this is not an announcement per se. We would like you to
participate and give feedback, otherwise the workshop might not be
organized. See below for what we need, please answer within a few days).

I have the chance to organize a workshop in connection with the SABRE
conference in Leipzig (http://sabre2012.infai.org/) and the Leipziger
Semantic Web Day (http://aksw.org/Events/2012/LeipzigerSemanticWebDay).
The workshop would be two days (24.9.-25.9.) and it would probably be a
continuation of the Linked Data in Linguistics Workshop held in
Frankfurt in March ( http://ldl2012.lod2.eu/) with a different
topic/attitude of course. This time the workshop would not only be for
researchers, but also industry and commercial consumers of the data
produced by research. Tentative title is "Multilingual Linked Open Data
for Enterprises"

The rough draft of the plan is as follows:

Monday 24th: Code-Sprint-a-Thon (hands-on workshop)  and developers
meet-up for DBpedia, LLOD cloud, Wiktionary2RDF, NIF:
- http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Internationalization
- http://linguistics.okfn.org/resources/llod/
- http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary
- http://nlp2rdf.org/about
Maybe also Spotlight?: http://dbpedia.org/spotlight

The Code-Sprint-a-Thon would invite data providers and non-developers to
attend and give input for this day in form of use cases, wishes, data
and requirements. Result will be more Open Data, more links, more tools,
more LOD. We can even make Data Post Proceedings.

Tuesday 25th:
Presentation of the results of the Code-Sprint-a-Thon
Presentation/Discussion Topics:
- How can we unlock the data created by research for enterprises? What
is missing? How can we build bridges?
- Open-source and open-licences for software has shown that it can be
successful in a commercial environment. How can we transfer these models
to Multilingual Linked Open Data?
- What is the meaning of  "Open" in Linked Open Data?
- What are appropriate licenses for research data? CC-BY + SA? + NC? +
ND? (following the discussion on this thread:
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-linguistics/2012-May/000278.html)
In parallel, there will be the Leipziger Semantic Web Day:
http://aksw.org/Events/2012/LeipzigerSemanticWebDay so you can hop
conferences on the second day.

Steven Moran will help me organize the workshop. We would need feedback
in the following way:
Please tell us as soon as possible,
- if you would attend  (fee is 80 Euros for one day and 150 for 2 days,
10 Euro for students).
- if you would act as a sponsor (we will use your money mainly to bring
developers in, who need financial aid).
- if you would like to give a presentation have ideas about topics, we
should discuss.
- if you would like to become a chair/organizer of this workshop (we are
looking for chairs in each of the areas, possibly having more than 10
active chairs/organizers in the end).

You can cross-post lists (if pertinent), reply to your own list or send
us private messages: hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de, steve.moran at lmu.de

Decisions will be made within the next few days.

All the best,
Sebastian (Hellmann) and Steven (Moran)

--
Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann