[open-linguistics] CC licenses

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu May 31 22:15:11 UTC 2012

I was hoping that the notion of "share alike" might serve as a filter indicating that the commercial enterprise was
operating cooperatively and collegially.  Is that unrealistic?

It just seems to me that removal of the NC restriction would seriously change the nature of not only the way that
contributors viewed their input to a collaborative research collection, but also of how the participants in the interactions viewed their contribution to the scientific enterprise.  If one can believe that the companies involved are themselves doing science, then most of that worry vanishes.  So, again, this is not about feeling bad that people are making money.  It is about hoping that they are willing to act as scientists and collaborators.

-- Brian