[open-linguistics] Ideas how to solve hosting

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Sep 10 08:49:25 UTC 2012

Hi all,
we are currently trying to tackle the hosting problem and find
appropriate tools/servers. The nice thing about having MLODE[1] is that
we finally have a chance to dig deeper, as soon as a problem arises.

So we discussed the "hosting" problem at the MLODE preparation telco and
came up with some ideas how to deal with it.   By the way, we will have
two more telcos before MLODE and everybody is welcome to join (next one
is Thursday, 13. September, 3pm Berlin time, skype:sebastian.hellmann).
Half of the time we discuss topics such as the programme, the other half
we think about technicalities and coordinate the conversion process.

Should we have another OWLG telco before the workshop, as well?. It
would be good to get some feedback on use cases.

Here is the main idea, we have written down in this Etherpad:
http://mlode.okfnpad.org/hosting

*Incentives for 3rd party hosters*
Each bubble in the LOD cloud at
http://richard.cyganiak.de/2007/10/lod/represents a data set that is
published as linked data. However, it is not visible, who provides the
hosting for this data set. In over 60% hosting is provided by
third-parties http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/lodcloud/state/#producer.
In order to increase the visibility of who provides the hosting (e.g.
LinkedGeoData is hosted by University Leipzig, DBpedia is hosted by
OpenLink ) we will create a copy of the LOD cloud for the area of
Linguistics, where we add logos of the hosters to the bubbles. This
image will be updated in regular intervals by a commitee. A draft of
such an image can be found here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65483422/llod-hoster.png. If a hoster stops to
host the data set, the logo will be removed.

All the best,
Sebastian

[1] http://sabre2012.infai.org/mlode

--