[open-linguistics] FYI: ELRA free language resources

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Mon Sep 24 20:55:08 UTC 2012

Of course, "freedom" is somewhat limited here:
- free as in "free beer" (Exhibit C)
- attribution (15)
- free use is restricted to "language engineering research activities" (3)
- modification and rearrangement permitted (4), also development and
rework as part of "internal language engineering research activities" (5)
- no redistribution of neither the resources nor any derivative product or
service (6)
- no republication, in particular not under an open source license (7)

Such restrictions are regrettable, because they render these resources
unsuitable for many potential applications (say, their inclusion in the
LLOD cloud ;). Still, it is a step in the right direction for an
institution like the ELRA. In the end, this is a response to requests to
make some of their resources available under less restrictive conditions,
and if the community stays persistent, we may eventually convince them to
broaden the conditions for selected resources even further -- if a
business model can be developed that secures the financial future of ELRA
independently from license fees.

Best,
Christian