[open-linguistics] Fwd: [Wg-coord] Working Groups update

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fri Apr 26 04:20:39 UTC 2013

FYI from the coordinators list.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	[Wg-coord] Working Groups update
Datum: 	Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:26:22 +0200
Von: 	Joris Pekel <joris.pekel at okfn.org>
An: 	wg-coord at lists.okfn.org

Hi all,

How are you all doing?

This is a bit of a lengthy email, but I always like one long one more
than 20 brief ones..Please read carefully.

1. Due to UK legislation, we are obliged to to add a cookie notification
to our websites. Today this will be activated so please check if it does
not cause any sever issues with your page.

2. I want to remind you that many of you have not yet used the WG-budget
for this year. The financial year will end at the end of May and then
every WG will start with a new pot of £150-. Money not being spent this
year will not be taken to the next year so please think about this.
Suggestions are travel to speak at an event, flyers for the WG, website
redesign.. Please disseminate as you find appropriate in your WG.

3. In the OpenGLAM Working Group, we are currently experimenting with
some more structure in the WG to better coordinate and support our
activities. Basically what we have done is set up a:

   - Advisory board with high profile from the open culture field. Here
we will present our results to every 6 months and ask for strategic feedback
   - OpenGLAM members with very active volunteers that organise
workshops, go to events on behalf of the Working Group, blog, etc. We
support them with small travel bursaries, swag (flyers, stickers etc),
documentation, a slidedeck and general advice. We have monthly calls
   - The mailing list for everybody else where we discuss stuff and
posts updates.

Formalising this has forced us to think a bit more about what we want to
achieve and what kind of goals we set for ourselves. This proces has
been very helpful. I will keep you updated about our experiences and am
happy to talk with you more about this, just ping me.

4. Local Working Groups. It is very exciting to see that Working Groups
as part of Local Groups have been set up. Getting activities done on a
local scale often helps actually doing stuff together. Together with
Christian Villum, the Local Groups coordinator, I have been thinking
about this development. We would really like to hear from you how the
relation between the 'global' working groups are with these local
initiatives. Is there a lot of communication? Do you share the same
mailing lists? All your experiences are very much welcomed and happy to
talk further about it, also when this is something you would like to
encourage yourself.

5. Outreach. All together we do some awesome stuff, but it is not always
noticed by the people outside of our networks. The Local Groups have
started to do a monthly blog post with the highlights from the different
chapters. I would like to do  a similar thing for the Working Groups so
I will ask you every month to send me a  summary of your activities and
highlights. At the same time this allows me to keep an overview of all
that is happening. If it makes it easier for you if I set up a form or
something, let me know.

So to summarise: it would be great if you can get back to me with the
following answers:

1. Does your site still work properly?
2. Do you want to spend some of WG funds?
3. Do you want to get some more structure in your WG?
4. Can you share your experiences with Local WG's? Do you think it is a
good idea?
5. Can you give me an update what has happened in your WG?

Apologies again for the length, but I really hope to get an answer from
all of you!
In te mean time, of you have any other questions/comments, just let me know.

All the best.

Joris
--
Joris Pekel