[open-linguistics] LingHub - moving away from DataHub, but keeping the good things

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Thu Dec 19 13:57:02 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

IIRC, I promised during the last telco to follow up on the discussion
about whether DataHub is enough for our purposes.
We just submitted a draft to the European Data Forum
(http://2014.data-forum.eu), yesterday.
The draft can be accessed here:
http://svn.aksw.org/papers/2014/EDF_LingHub/LingHub_public.pdf

I already sent several emails to the DataHub lists[1,2], but I never
received any answer. The thing that annoys me the most is that we -- as
the DBpedia Project -- seem to be unable to properly represent our data
in the DataHub at all, compare:
http://datahub.io/dataset/dbpedia
vs. the actual data: http://downloads.dbpedia.org/

After several emails now and also 4 or 5 personal conversations, it
seems as if the DataHub community is not moving in our direction.

Therefore, we decided to create a prototype based on OntoWiki + several
extensions and data analysis tools + guidelines for vocabularies to use
to describe data (see the attached paper for a more detailed analysis):
http://svn.aksw.org/papers/2014/EDF_LingHub/LingHub_public.pdf

We hope that this will give us the necessary features and flexibility to
finally get rid of our Google Spreadsheet[3] , which we created in
parallel to DataHub already, as data entry was much more convenient.

Note that our solution will be backward compatible. So we can
theoretically push all dataset descriptions in LingHub to DataHub again.

All the best,
Sebastian

[1]
https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/datahub-discuss/2013-October/000013.html