[open-linguistics] Linguistic glossaries

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Sun Jun 9 20:53:12 UTC 2013

All that's true. But "[i]n the beginning GOLD was constructed from the
top-down using SIL International's on-line glossary of linguistic terms
and standard linguistics sources ..."
(http://linguistics-ontology.org/info/about)

Best,
Christian

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 16:35:56 +0200, Emily M. Bender <ebender at uw.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> now maintained by LINGUIST List.
>
> Emily
>
> On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 3:17 AM, Christian Chiarcos
> <christian.chiarcos at web.de> wrote:
>> Actually, GOLD is originally derived from SIL. From a linguistic point
>> of
>> view, they're usually doing a truly great job, but some people object
>> their
>> religious-political agenda, hence an occasional reluctance to use their
>> resources. And of course, SIL by itself is neither a standardization
>> body
>> nor an open community, so people prefer to work with SIL-derived work
>> that
>> is maintained by a community (e.g., GOLD) or independent institutions
>> (e.g.,
>> ISO).
>>
>> Another machine-readable terminology repository is ISOcat
>> (http://isocat.org), of course, but it lacks the overall coherence of
>> GOLD
>> due to its bottom-up design. Also of interest may be the TDS ontology
>> (http://languagelink.let.uu.nl/tds/index.html). All of these are,
>> however,
>> intended to be machine-readable rather than human-readable what seems
>> to be
>> what you're asking for.
>>
>> A human-readable repository of high quality is Grammis
>> (http://hypermedia.ids-mannheim.de/call/public/termwb.html, German
>> only).
>> This one summarizes and defines the theoretical concepts employed in the
>> publications of the Institut für Deutsche Sprache (Mannheim, Germany)
>> in the
>> last 30 years or so. They have a certain band-width of theoretical
>> positions, but parts of their terminology are really IDS-specific.
>>
>> When I started to develop the Ontologies of Linguistic Annotation
>> almost a
>> decade ago, I did a survey on terminology portals for linguistic
>> terminology, and I was somewhat surprised to find to many of them. (And
>> in
>> the end, I took GOLD+ISOcat as my point of departure.) The survey is
>> long
>> outdated, of course, but I would guess that it should not be too
>> complicated
>> to find one with reasonable reliability and a theoretical orientation
>> that
>> suits your needs best. And of course, you are invited to share any
>> results
>> of such a survey ;)
>>
>> All the best,
>> Christian
>>

>> On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 21:20:17 +0200, Hugh Paterson III
>> <hugh at thejourneyler.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Well there is the GOLD ontology...  not quite a glossary, but any
>>> online
>>> linguistics glossary should have a relationship with the GOLD ontology.
>>>
>>> But I too would be interested to know what the concerns are with the
>>> glossary. (If you mean the one which was part of the online version of

mail: chiarcos at informatik.uni-frankfurt.de