[open-linguistics] How to represent LLOD diagram categories at datahub ?

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Sat Oct 5 10:26:43 UTC 2013

Dear all,

earlier, we discussed categories for coloring the LLOD diagram. The
diagram we prepared for LDL-2013 was based on a something like the minimal
consensus:

- lexicon (= LREMap lexicon, olac:lexicon)
- corpus (= LREMap corpus, ~ olac:primary data)
- language_description (basically everything else, ~
olac:language_description)

I guess the first two are unproblematic, but the third is very
heterogeneous, it includes
- terminology repositories
- typological databases
- bibliographical databases
In a way, all of these "describe language" (information about languages,
information about concepts relevant to the description of language,
information about collections of language data), but honestly, I would
prefer the label "other", because this is very different from what I think
an olac:language_description is meant to be.

Two questions
- Is this general classification acceptable ?
- How shall we encode the categories ? Using tags "lexicon", "corpus",
etc. ? Or using a custom field "LLOD category" ? Unless anyone protests, I
would suggest to use tags for "lexicon" and "corpus" and classify
everything without such a tag as "language_description".

Best,
Christian
--
Christian Chiarcos