[open-linguistics] [Corpora-List] WordNet vs Ontology

yversley at gmail.com yversley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:52:00 UTC 2014

Dear Sebastian,

let me start out by saying that including that I’m not sure if broadening an already diffuse discussion by adding more people to it is helpful in the sense of achieving a better signal-to-noise ratio. Corpora-List is (in)famous for occasionally having discussions between people with very different background assumptions (e.g. Ramesh’s insistence that language is best seen as behaviour vs. the point that language is a tool to get meanings across). This can be both good and bad, and lots of people who are only interested in factual information did or will hit the “Mute thread" button (or moral equivalent) in the process.

Your whole post seems to boil down to a claim that only RDF-encoded data should count as ontology. This seems to be a bit near-sighted to me, as LemonRDF’s encoding of WordNet is just that, an encoding which is very convenient but which adds nothing to the existing semantics.

I completely agree that using a powerful database (be it RDF or SQL or anything else) is better than using the 90s infrastructure that was once designed for Wordnet, and that linking datasets together is much easier with a common format thst reduces the m:n problem to an 1:n problem.

We already established earlier that WordNet is a combination between a dictionary and an ontological component, which is exactly why it’s more useful for NLP than the ontologies that were part of the original conception of the Semantic Web. Fortunately for us though, people woke up to that idea and resources such as DBPedia now also include dictionary entries that mediate between natural-language strings and the concepts of the respective ontology.

Saying that some people think that “the ontology is already in the text" is unnecessarily putting up a strawman. No one claimed this, and you’d do better by understanding the actual arguments put forward - for example, that in the absence of a central authority, as with marriage or taxonomies in Biology, ontologies are conceptualizations that are intersubjective rather than purely objective. E.g. Kafka may be a German writer in one ontology and a Czech writer in another, yet either of these ontologies would be useful and intuitively plausible. (This creates a tension/incompatibility between the perspective that ontologies are logical things and that you should be able to reason with them, and the view that you should be able to freely combine ontologies on related things.)

Your discussion of layers is absolutely orthogonal to that - modeling text, annotations, metadata, and ontology in one database is surely convenient if you can make it work in a sense that's practically relevant but it doesn’t add anything to the discussion we’re having here.

Best wishes,

Yannick