[open-linguistics] Linguistic relevance

John P. McCrae jmccrae at cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jan 23 12:13:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Robert Forkel <xrotwang at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I understand that use cases will be very different, but still think they
> should be the drivers of what gets included in the LLOD - i.e. if no one
> has ever successfully used a dataset for anything, it shouldn't be
> included. At least from my perspective this would help prevent the
> frustration when datasets in the diagram turn out to be unusable.
>
> I'll give an example: i spotted the ietflang dataset (
> http://datahub.io/dataset/ietflang) in the diagram and was interested in
> using it since mapping between different kinds of language identifiers is
> something I have to do often. I couldn't figure out a way to get the whole
> dataset - and reading a 2 year old unanswered comment asking this very
> question didn't inspire much confidence.

Yeah it seems that Datahub comments are quite useless and it seems don't
notify the resource owner, however you could just ask the original author,
or even post to a public mailing list ;)

The 'dataset' is actually a service and trying to generate all the data
this service could return would be impractical (the service recognizes 9.5
billion URIs), however the source for the service is here:

https://github.com/jmccrae/rfc4646mapper

I hope it might yet prove useful to you

Regards,
John