[open-linguistics] Question: replacing language codes in a SPARQL BIND statement?

Manuel Fiorelli manuel.fiorelli at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 18:24:08 UTC 2016

Hi John, All

In the SPARQL 1.1 specification, I found some functions that could be
useful to Dr. Christian Chiarcos.

STRLANG (https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#func-strlang) allows to
construct an RDF literal from its literal form and language tag, such as:

bind(strlang("Mais", "it") as ?aLiteral)

langMatches (https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#func-langMatches)
allows to match a language tag against a language range. By means of this
function, it should be possible to match the language tags en_GB and en_US
against en.

However, I don't know a standard function that transforms language tags
from a standard to another. If the queries are evaluated by an endpoint
controlled by the user, depending on the specific technologies in use, it
should be possible to register additional functions performing specialized
tasks (however, in such a case, the queries will be obviously dependent on
the existence of non standard functions)

Best Regards

Manuel Fiorelli

Manuel Fiorelli